As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance. -- Calvin and Hobbes

Saturday, February 28, 2015

I just needed an abstraction

"Spock's Red Matter Ships"
(or Red Mobile Sky at Night)
Acrylic on canvas
18x24"


It's typical for my imagination to make up stories that appeal to my science fiction psyche.  I had painted a very small piece entitled, "Red Mobile" and imagined it as a sort of flying rig. Who knows what a rig in the sky does, but Isaac Asimov would, so there I was, thinking about the things that only happen in the future (my imagination.) Anyway, as I finished this new larger piece, I decided it was going to be about flying things, again... 

Then, one of the great icons of science fiction and also a very talented artist, Leonard Nimoy passed away yesterday. Sigh. I really loved him, I was a huge fan of his Mr. Spock and also of his photography and his great intellect and spirit.  So, I am dedicating this piece to him, renaming the piece after Spock's Red Matter ship.  Three of them, a magical number, fly together now.  Farewell, friend.

RIP Mr. Nimoy, you have always been and shall always be, remembered.

Have a nice day,
Rebecca

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something nice to say? Put 'er there!

Things to Ponder

Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches. -Andy Warhol

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
Follow smellyrhino on Twitter

Followers