As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance. -- Calvin and Hobbes

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

So, I couldn't call it the Parthenon...





Ornament Colosseum


Redux: How do you like my shabby chic ornament Colosseum? Yea, it's so Greek. (giggle.) It was a junk store find, and it had been spray painted gold, was so dirty and dingy, and had no back on it. It didn't look like anything that could be useful. But, at the time time, I was specifically in search of a showcase for ornaments, so when I saw it in a junk pile, I thought, "Neat! That'll do! It's a tiny Parthenon!"  So, I took it home, all the way from Mississippi, and cleaned it, painted it off-white hammered on a back and sanded back a little of that gold. Then, silly me, I realized it's not a Parthenon, it's a Colosseum. HA! 

So far, I'm still playing with hanging vs. nesting. I added eyelet screws to hang, and I'll probably pad the back for safety against breakage, but I might just nest anyway. I mean, who doesn't want to nest on some level?

Well, there you have it. I haven't finished the sign yet, but I got it off the printer and it just needs glue and mojo. So, I couldn't call it the Parthenon, but I'm OK with that.


‪#‎festivaldisplays‬, Marietta Square Artist's Attic, Marietta Square Artists MarketAcworth Art Fest
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something nice to say? Put 'er there!

Things to Ponder

Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches. -Andy Warhol

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
Follow smellyrhino on Twitter

Followers